In an interesting turn, it seems the team at Smarter Balanced heard this same feedback pretty loud and clear. Over the past two months, the SBAC rolled out a series of additions and resources in efforts to better assist the educators who felt the practice tests offered an inadequate amount of background or supplemental information, resources, and guides.
The new resources and documents can be found on Smarter Balanced's Resources and Documentation page, and include:
- additional instructions and performance tasks for "special populations" test-takers
- mathematics performance task breakdowns for grades 3-8
- ELA and Mathematics scoring guides for grades 3-8
- a Smarter Balanced Practice Test User Guide
- ELA Classroom Activities for grades 3, 5, and 6
If you're an educator or parent in a Smarter Balanced-adopting state and you haven't gotten a chance to play around with the practice tests, I highly recommend doing so at: